Have you ever started a project you knew was doomed from the start? This was one of those types of projects for me. What was supposed to be done in a few days ended up taking two weeks. I wanted black windows, and the DIY gods were not seeing it my way.
We have eight 8 ft windows in our great room. They are Pella windows from Lowes.
The start of the project should have been my first clue that this was not going to go smoothly….cue sad music…
The winter before, some of the guys had been helping with paint, and they used masking tape to tape off the windows. In case you didn’t know, masking tape is NOT painters tape. When I tried to peel it off, the tape came off but all of the glue stayed on the windows. Then, I ran out of Windex….I ended up spraying the windows down with some watered down Mr. Clean. Then I had to use Goo-Off to scrape the rest of the glue off.
Two days later, all of the windows were squeaky clean and ready for the Hubby to re-caulk the seams.
I wanted to paint not only the sills but the windows themselves…and they didn’t like that very much. (This pic is the first coat) Three coats later, and I finally had the results I was after. We think due to the colder temps on the windows, the caulk didn’t dry as well as it should.
Yes people, there was an abundance of lady bugs on these windows, and they just would not get out of the way. And on top of shooing bugs out of the way, these windows are 8 ft high, it was really hard to see where I was painting when the sun was shining. I almost busted out my sunglasses.
And I did all of that on this…
I was determined to not let a bunch of windows get the best of me. I just worked the kinks out of my aching neck, and kept chugging along. (It must be my competitive nature.)